Thread: No spark

Default No spark

I just received this 56 mark II. It has sat for many years. It turns over. I cleaned out the fuel tank, added new gas. Fuel pump works but I get no spark at the plugs. Coil was bad so it was replaced with no luck. Plugs were cleaned and gapped. Still nothing. Any ideas??

Is the car getting gas through the carb? You can quickly tell if it's a fuel delivery problem by using a syringe of squeeze bottle to fill the carb bowl through the vent holes. If it starts it's the carb. Is it getting 9 volts at the coil with the ignition switch on? if it gets no voltage with the ignition switch on the resistor is bad. Does it get 12 volts while cranking? You're likely going to do it anyway, but adding a Pertronix ignition makes points problems disappear and makes the car quite reliable.

Take the cap off and see if the rotor is turning. See of the points are stuck open.

Buy a Service Manual and an Authenticity Manual. Most questions are covered.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Check for voltage at the ballast resistor. It needs to have voltage at both sides to send voltage to the coil. After this check or replace your points and condenser in the distributor.
    Last edited by Milsteads Garage; Today at 11:52 AM.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157