Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside door handles

Hi Graham , I'm pretty sure they are cast iron . They have pits and stainless doesn't pit . On mine ther was a chrome layer , a nickle layer and copper over the cast iron .I stripped them with 80 grit ,and worked through the grits up to 1000 . They look alot better than they did but far from perfect . But in California , I'm guessing it would be at least 5 to 700 bucks a handle . The locks are made out of the same stuff so I did them also . If I can figure how to post pictures I will .
    Rick Vieira
    Copperoppolis Ca.

You most probably mean "pot metal". Iron would rust but not get pittings. With maybe some exceptions, all door handles from all manufacturers are made with pot metal.
    Roger

Not cast iron, as a magnet would stick. On mine magnet does not stick, they also feel to hard to be potmetal
    Graham Rollo,
    C56D2663 1956 Continental Mark II
    1957 Imperial Southhampton coupe
    1956 Buick Riveria special coupe
    1939 Chev tudor
    1931 Ford Model A coupe
    1987 Harley Davidson
    . 1940 Ford deluxe coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Rollo View Post
    Not cast iron, as a magnet would stick. On mine magnet does not stick, they also feel to hard to be potmetal
    Agreed, however there a few grades of stainless that are magnetic, but none rust. There are others that do stain, but they don't rust, but they do pit from contaminates in the metal. The blueprint shows that they are stainless. Likely polished and flash-chromed like the rest of the stainless on the car. Don't know why this would be different.

I've had several off of cars and they have the heft of steel, not aluminum or pot metal.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126