Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wheel covers

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stebbins View Post
    It does however reduce the noise from expletives by the driver watching a wheel cover go rolling down the road when you make a hard turn.
    Thank goodness mine have zero chance of coming off since were already secured with the double machine screw method hence no anxiety about drilling through each lovely cover ...someone else had already done that! But honestly with the screw heads painted black its almost impossible to see.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by arkusvt View Post
    I actually have only driven this car less than a mile since purchase; been paying attention addressing several 68 year old shortcomings. I decided to replace the rims having read they might be less apt to flex with radials. lessening chance of wheel cover failure.Haven't learned as yet about "the noise the wheel covers make" unless that noise was when they fail. Vacuum, or lack of it, comes next. George Perry
    Hopefully you won't experience it but some cars (mine included) sound like a small steel band when the going slowly (above that the road noise drowns it out). We think its the sound of the stainless steel tangs on the wheel covers flexing and then the sound being magnified by the shape of the cover. So each/some wheels on the car make a series of pinging/dinging sounds as the it/they turn. Its especially obvious if you drive next to a stone wall with the drivers window down. One could of course remove the covers one at a time and find out which one is doing it and adjust the tangs to see if it helps. Anyway the recommended steel wheels from Vinteq did not change it.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer