Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ignition cylinder and keys

Default ignition cylinder and keys

I'm pretty sure that ford product ignition cylinders were interchangeable between all fomoco brands in the 50's but seeking reassurance for my newly purchased '56. also is there a list of generic replacement parts that will work on the Mark ll without paying what appears to be the elevated Mark ll prices? thanks for any help. George Perry in Vermont (I've owned this car for about 12 hours!)

Your best option is to consult a professional locksmith.
    Can you give us some background on why you need a new cylinder?
    OBTW, 3018 is a fine car. Hearty Congratulations.
    John Snoddy

Yes, the lock cylinders for the ignition are interchangeable with Ford products 52 to 59
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

thanks for the reply. this is typical ford "sit there and giggle until it decides to turn". I'm a ford guy; have seen this a number of times. curious, John, as to what you might know and be able to enlighten me about #3018. my friend Steve and I pulled a '57 out of a New York museum probably about 45 years ago and I got to drive it one summer. took that long to acquire my own! George Perry

No need for a professional locksmith. They are very simple to install new cylinders and it's doubtful many would know how to, or want to take the car apart far enough to get to them. If your keys are too worn to work I've found that many of the Production Orders have the necessary key code to reproduce a key without a good key sample.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Precisely my point. No need to replace the cylinder. Just have a new key made. A professional can cut the key. Then you have the same key for the doors and ignition.
    C56F3018
    SPEC: 10-1L6H-44-1
    Click image for larger version.

Name: 10-Beige.jpg
    Views: 3
    Size: 24.6 KB
    ID: 26086 Click image for larger version.

Name: 1L6H Interior Exemplar.jpg
    Size: 90.7 KB
    ID: 26087 Click image for larger version.

Name: Deep Bronze Carpet-Cabin (Upper) & Trunk (Lower).jpg
    Size: 40.7 KB
    ID: 26088
    PROD ORDER NO: 2431
    ENG#: NEEDED BODY TAG NO: NEEDED
    DSO NO: NONE
    DSO DETAILS: NONE
    NAMEPLATE: NEEDED

DEALERSHIP INFORMATION:
    Invoice Date: 4/5/56
    Date Shipped: 4/9/56
    Stivers Lincoln-Mercury
    1024 First Avenue, N.E.
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Customer: None Named

OWNERSHIP HISTORY:
    1956 Stivers Lincoln-Mercury Cedar Rapids IA (F)
    1956-1963 Unidentified Owner Kenswick, IA (I)(2)
    1964 (or earlier) -9/18/2021 or later Daryl & Ann Hemken, Hemken Auto Museum Williams, IA (L) (I)(1)(2)
    9/18/2021 Hemken Auto Museum Collection Sold Rich Penn Auctions, Williams, IA (I)(2)
    9/18/2021 Auction Buyer Unknown

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:
    (1) Hemken Auto Museum Auction, Williams, IA- Two days with a wide variety of fun & excitement! Featuring the 50 year collection of Daryl Hemken, with a few other special cars included. Over 60 great cars from the 30?s - 60?s. Most are Post War. Many convertibles. Thousands of parts, automobilia, porcelain signs, pressed steel toys, bicycles, pedal cars, model cars and more! Join the fun and help pass on the legacy of his collection. Others can love these automotive marques like he did. Ann Hemken, Daryl?s wife of 50 years, had spent her career as a educator, but was also actively involved in the museum. So the museum board thought it appropriate for McPherson College, in McPherson, KS, to be a benefactor from the proceeds of the museum auction. McPherson is the only college in the nation with a 4-year degree in auto restoration.

Name: 3018-1964-2021 Hemken Auto Museum IA.jpg
    Size: 50.5 KB
    ID: 26089 Click image for larger version.

Name: 3018 Hemken Auto Museum.jpg
    Views: 2
    Size: 45.3 KB
    ID: 26090

(2) 9/18/21 #C56F3018 Auctioned by Rich Penn Auctions, Williams, IA Lot #161, Sold $25,000 plus 23 percent buyer's premium total $30,750 -

Name: 3018-2021 Williams, IA-1.jpg
    Size: 35.4 KB
    ID: 26091 Click image for larger version.

Name: 3018-2021 Williams, IA-2.jpg
    Views: 2
    Size: 20.1 KB
    ID: 26092
    "This car was sold in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to a horse farm in Keswick, Iowa, the only one sold from that dealership during the two year production of this top-of-the-line exclusive personal luxury line. Daryl Hemken found the car in Des Moines and purchased it from a Lincoln dealer in 1964. In 1965 the Continental was driven to Michigan from Williams, Iowa with four little boys in the back and from 1970-1971 it was driven by Ann Hemken as her personal car to and from Kamrar, Iowa where she was a teacher. The car was repainted but otherwise is completely original and runs and drives as it was delivered from the factory..."

OTHER INFORMATION:
    Original Invoice Specifications - 10 1L6H
    Continental Color: Beige
    Trim: Medium Beige Leather Seat Biscuits, White Leather Seat Bolsters w/Medium Beige Welts
    Tinted Glass
    Front Bumper With Lic. Plate
    Air Conditioning
    Firestone Tire Size: 8:20x15 4 Ply
    20 GAL GAS, 6 QTS OIL, 7 QTS. ANTI-FREEZE
    Invoice Amount: N/A
    Rekeying a new cylinder to an existing key might be beyond most peoples wheelhouse. A professional might be required.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 08-29-2024 at 08:54 AM.
    John Snoddy

John, thank you for all that great info, some I knew and some I wasn't aware of. the car has 900/15 Bedford tires with a 3" w/w with a date code of 363. that puts them at no newer than 1993 or 31 years old. they are in good shape but I will be replacing them with radials. if anyone here could use them, perhaps for a static display, they are free but I will not ship unless the new owner handles the shipping deal on his/her end. with the info just received re: apparently a museum siesta, I'm not surprised that she needs some TLC. wipers are inoperative and I'm considering converting to electric. I called Mark ll Enterprises today but no tech there until middle of next week. I'm hoping it is a "bolt in"; I don't want to reinvent the wheel but electric would be so much better than any vac wiper I ever had. also needs the quarter window vertical (pricey) seals. unable to find any info on what it takes to replace them. any help is appreciated. thanks again, George Perry

I would encourage you to keep your car as original as possible. Keep any original parts which you replace as they can be rebuilt. If you have 21 inches of vacuum, maybe your wiper motor just need a good cleaning. If you don't have sufficient vacuum, maybe you need new hoses or the fuel/ vacuum pump rebuilt. In any event, I would encourage you to diagnose the problem and not just throw parts at it. The car only operates properly with sufficient vacuum as it impacts the brake booster, wipers, engine and antenna.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 08-30-2024 at 07:21 AM.
    John Snoddy

The car has a vacuum pump. If the wipers and antenna don't work you likely have a vacuum leak, not necessarily bad devices. A vacuum gauge is essential to troubleshooting these cars. It could be something as simple as too little timing advance.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

don't get too excited guys. I was merely asking if anyone had gone this route. I have original/restored cars and understand their aesthetic and historical values. haven't taken the time to trace the vacuum system but soon will.