Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needed - insulator for transmission gear shift lever

Default Needed - insulator for transmission gear shift lever

This is part #IM 7246-A. This part is located where the rod from the steering column connects to the transmission shift lever. It is rubber with a brass sleeve. It is called an insullator because it's rubber construction prevents the rod from rattling in the connection to the transmission gear shift lever. These photos show the insulator installed in a gear shift lever.

IMG_4934.jpg IMG_4935.jpg

Mine is reamed out with a lot of play in it. This cause a big gap in my shift indicator. Park is in the correct position, but, then I have to shift all the way to between N & Dr to get reverse, etc.

If anyone has been able to find this part, I'd sure appreciate the source information.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Hello Pat,

I was looking for this part too and couldn't find it. In the end I built it myself out of a rubber bushing, a metal bushing and a washer. I can post some pictures of it on Saturday.
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

I believe I might have some from a ?40s Lincoln. I think they are a bronze shoulder bushing inside a rubber bushing that goes into the arm and is captured by a washer that fits over the tubular end of the bronze bushing. The bronze bushing is peened outward by a ball bearing just a little bigger than the bore. That captures everything in the arm. Is that what you?re looking for?
    Last edited by Barry Wolk; 07-10-2024 at 08:16 PM.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

This? Just needs a washer.

Last edited by Barry Wolk; 07-10-2024 at 08:14 PM.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Barry, that looks promising. I believe the bushing in the Insulator has a 3/8" opening. The whole unit has to snap into a 3/4" "hole"in the shifter arm.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 07-11-2024 at 06:18 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Holger, there have to be others who have the same issue. I think it would be a great service to the Membership if you post those pictures. Thank you!
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I talked to Morgan Milstead, yesterday, and he was able to pry an Insulator out of one his spare transmissions (sustaining some damage to the part in the process). He is sending it to me to use as a comparative sample.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Yeah, you have to remove the washer to get it out without damage, and that ruins the brass bushing. I'll be at the shop later. I'll measure what I have.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I don't have any unassembled, but this is what I've used. It fits a bunch of '56 Ford products. you can match dimensions with them. These are nicer than most.

https://www.steelerubber.com/gearshi...met-20-2460-26
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Both sides of the same device. If you don't have a press a ball bearing will do to capture the washer.

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6016.jpg
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126