PDA

View Full Version : Original engine paint.

Barry Wolk
10-20-2024, 08:37 AM
With an engine plant in Detroit it would not be much of a stretch to assume that there was a connection between a paint supplier and Ford. If Lincoln, a primary supplier of mechanical bits, used the same local supplier and was looking for an engine color, there's the connection.

Continental Motors built engines for 200 boutique auto makers, and they had a line of aircraft engines, painted what seemed to be same color as the engines painted gold at the Lincoln plant in Detroit. The long blocks were painted before delivery where all of the gloss black accessories were added on a mini assembly line. The engines were broken-in at Lincoln, before painting.

Back in the day paints could be put in spray bombs and shipped anywhere, but airline regulations allows transport by ground, only. The only supplier I knew of quit carrying it. Had to have a couple of batches mixed locally, where a quart of engine enamel made 3 spray bombs using my 1994 restoration paint as a sample. The problem was that I had nothing to compare it to the was original. Until now.

I found an aircraft supplier that stocked "Continental Gold" in quarts. If you have a local paint supplier they will likely make aerosol canisters for you, or you can shoot the engine with spray equipment. They also have Battery Box Black that's impervious to battery acid.

https://www.univair.com/.../paint.../enamels-paints.html/

The battery acid damaged engine is coming out of our car for a total tear down to seek out acid damage from a hydrogen gas explosion that sprayed a couple of quarts of acid under the hood, eating anything that wasn't powder-coated.

The panel spray-outs are posted in 5 different light colors, each one compared to my engine. Due to the proximity of the Continental engine plant and Lincoln's engine plant I don't believe it's out of line to believe that this is the original paint supplied.