Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark II Price Bashing

John: Glad you liked the pictures. Pete: Very well put. Aesthetic appeal kind of sums up my m.o. and deserves to be respected. It's a balancing act for most of us who restore these cars to keep them as authentic as possible without breaking the bank. Over restored is fine with me. Russell: I'm sure there will always be affordable driver quality Marks as there is still affordable muscle cars. I guess my point is the money spent restoring these beauties should be reflected in their final value. Authenticity should not be the 'only' judging factor of price as evidenced with the sale of 2989. Mark: Your comments are right on. I spent a small fortune on my 62 Lincoln convertible knowing it will be lost money but love sometimes overrules money.
    Last edited by Howard Hussey; 01-22-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    Howard Hussey
    3- 1956 Mark II's
    1 - 1957 Ford Skyliner
    1969 Thunderbird Landau Coupe
    1987 Cadillac Coupe Deville
    2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve

I remember back in 89 when I purchased my 64 Falcon Futura V8 convertible that I saw predictions that the Mark II would be the first $100,000 American production coupe. Then the market went south. A couple of years later I bought a Mark II for $6,000 in Queens, NY. I lost it when a friend who was storing it Suffolk County, NY passed away in the early 90s. I had given him the title several years earlier when he had opportunities to sell it for me. Never knew what happened to it. It was black with black and white interior and had period correct after market AC.
    William Otterson
    C56R3756

[QUOTE= P.S. My wife will not ride in them. I told her she's a trailer queen.[/QUOTE]

That's incredibly sad!
    Russell Chilton

"I spent a small fortune on my 62 Lincoln convertible knowing it will be lost money but love sometimes overrules money."

Howard-

Ain't that the truth? I did the same with my Hudson. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. The smile on my face with the wind in my hair makes it all good.

Saw the pics and info Howie posted on the Ontario site--really enjoyed it. I've bookmarked it so I can keep up with the build. Y'all are doin' a great job. I hope you continue on with the retractable project, as that's one I've been contemplating for 40 years. If I could ever step away from the Hudsons . . .
    Russell Chilton

Howard, I'm now 41 and I think what you're seeing is just a bubble that is going to pop once the Baby Boomers run out of money or simply die off. My generation does not idolize the 1960s the way that the Boomers do and there is no way that my generation is going to pay the prices for common cars that are slower and handle worse than most common Honda Civics on the 1990s. Muscle Cars in the early part of the the 2000s will be the Beanie Babies & baseball cards of the 1990s.

Right now, I'm trying to get a parts car (with a title) that can be made whole again but not 100% (or even 70%) original. That is fine by me as I don't want a stock car from the 1950s when the build quality in every way can be made better with modern parts. I want to swap in a V10 with a Mustang AT & aftermarket AC most likely with a modern Lincoln interior just to be different. I want a father-son project and I'm in no hurry to get it done tomorrow.

Blessed are the purists but a restomod car with modern brakes, suspension, polybushings, seats & console, AC, etc is simply better as a driver in every way that matters. Making memories with my sons is more important than making a profit.

I know that this car is not cheap in its own right, but this Art Morrison 1955 Chevy proves how good a classic car can be:

You're right about the negativity of cars not being 100% pure, but I find an apostate car far better than one being crushed to never be seen or enjoyed visually again. Viv la différence!
    Wayne Thomas

fcar Guest

Well worth the time to go through the build--looking forward to seeing the buildout to completion. Very nice work being done not to mention the engineering and fabrication.

http://www.ontariorodders.activeboar...stFirst&page=1

Bob Barger Guest

I don't know if my car would qualify as a restomod. I kept the appearance as original as I could and only changed things that, in my opinion made it more reliable. The disc brakes, new Edelbrock carburetor, Mallory electronic ignition, electric wipers, alternator electric fuel pump and aftermarket air conditioning are things i did (oh and I added a fan shroud). I kept original colors and materials, not original to my car but original to the Mark, just because I like them better. My car is so reliable I can jump in it and go anywhere, that is important to me. It looks original until you open the hood and see the Master Cylinder and carburetor.

I probable impacted the value of my car by doing these things but I love it the way it is. I also didn't do anything to it that cannot be unbolted and the original parts installed with not a lot of effort.

Bob: Your my kind of guy. Except for the convertible top mine is pretty much stock with a few enhancements. Yesterdays post by Wayne Thomas points out the younger guys point of view. In the future most Mark II's will be restomods. All the coveted 50's chevs etc are going this way now & fetching big dollars. Point is they love the look but want modern conveniences. It's not our world anymore.
    Some kids today don't know who the Beatles are. There will always be a 'limited' place (museums) for extraordinary cars that are point perfect but for those who want to enjoy their car I would encourage modifications to the suspension, engine etc. Leave the body as is. We all like the look or we wouldn't buy them. The choice no longer belongs to baby boomers. Example is I love classic country music but can't stand the new country. More Marty, Ray & Merle please. I also love 100 point cars but let's make allowances in the forum for a younger point of view. Maybe under it's own heading like 'Restomods' or 'Mild Customs'
    Howard Hussey
    3- 1956 Mark II's
    1 - 1957 Ford Skyliner
    1969 Thunderbird Landau Coupe
    1987 Cadillac Coupe Deville
    2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barger View Post

I probable impacted the value of my car by doing these things but I love it the way it is. I also didn't do anything to it that cannot be unbolted and the original parts installed with not a lot of effort.
    I've seen Bob's car multiple times. I not sure that even the most discerning Mark II enthusiasts would be able to tell it wasn't 100% stock/authentic from the exterior and most knowledgeable car folks would only be able to tell it wasn't stock under the hood when they recognized the master cylinder isn't period correct.

Given the reliability factor, I'm sure Bob has impacted the value of his car: it's worth more than it would have been without his subtle modifications.
    Pete Hoffman
    C5691209

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barger View Post
    My car is so reliable I can jump in it and go anywhere, that is important to me. It looks original until you open the hood and see the Master Cylinder and carburetor.

Hear! Hear!

What good is it to restore a car so perfectly that it has to stay locked up in a museum/garage somewhere never to be seen again or when it is seen, it has to be trailered?

The MarkII is unquestionably a mobile piece of art that can inspire the imaginations of young people when they see it in action. After all, cars are meant to be functional pieces of art and a a nearly 60 year old daily driver is an amazing achievement in its own right! It would offer a far more rewarding experience than driving, say a Toyota Camry while at the same time offering the same reliability as the Camry!
    Wayne Thomas