Thread: Period photo(s) of Mark IIs on car hauler?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I concur that the vast majority went by rail, however, I've only heard once that they were delivered to customer's homes, uncrated and given their first service by a mechanic from the Continental Division.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I'm interested in any documentation of shipment by rail.

I have all (but the I.U.'s) invoices and nearly every one lists the shipping ("via") as a trucking company. A few were left blank, some were "Factory Delivery" (prep in plant and customer pick-up). I don't recall ever seeing mention of rail shipment, so I really would like info on that.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

They were shipped by truck for short trips and rail for long trips. We saw cars on train carriers all the time in the Detroit area. Since there was no RR siding at the plant they were all initially shipped by truck, hence the notations.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Yep, I'm sure the film I saw had The Continental Mkii's being loaded into covered rail cars
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

I'm not doubting that they were shipped by rail. My documentation only references trucking shipments. Being a documented history kind of guy, I am looking for the source of the shipment by rail information.

Since Mark II's were such low production, I'm wondering if they could ever fill a whole rail car with II's. It seems to me that one or two cars on a train car which generally held 15 or so cars, would create some big handling problems and risk at the freight load break-down and transfer facilities. I'm really interested how that was done.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Modern enclosed haulers have a elevator platform. I wonder what it saved by building a platform for loading cars? The the hydraulics of a carrier make loading and unloading quite simple, if you know what you're doing.

It appears the car could be accessed through a zippered window opening on the side, so the cover could be left on during transfers.

Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I'm pretty sure in the film I saw the covered rail cars only had one level so say 5 Mkii's in each. They certainly were not out in the open like the cars in the rail photo.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer